Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
05-Feb-2001 06:12 PM
  Re : Help! Urgent!
Vins
I am here under a Visa Wavier program. It will allow me to stay for only 90 days. Is there anyway that I could apply for a Visa that allows me to stay for a year? Also I am planning to get married to a Resident over here, just wondering if it will take a long time for processing a legal status for me? Does my fiancee have to show them any proof of income, as she is now still a student.

05-Feb-2001 07:27 PM
 Re: Re : Help! Urgent!
I'm sure you can't change your status to F-1 if you on the visa waiver. I don't know about marriage.

06-Feb-2001 04:29 AM
 Re: Re : Help! Urgent!
bmozaffari
I'm not sure how it would work witht he VWPP either, but I can tell you this:

You say you will marry a resident, which legally means a Green Card holder and not a US Citizen. In that case, it's no use. It will take over 4 years to get you a Green Card and you won't be allowed to stay in the country (or even visit) at least for the first three years. If it was a citizen, it would have taken around a year for the processing, but you would have been able to stay and live a normal life meanwhile. Also, even as a student, the financial support burden is not lifted. But your fiancee could ask some relative/friend to act as co-sponsor, pledging the remaining of the costs that she cannot sponsor herself.

Good luck, Babak

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 05:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved