Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
27-Jul-2000 07:37 AM
  Help?
l_zoey
Firstly, this is a great website. I have a problem and hope someone can help me. I was doing my bachelors in the us but i had to leave the states back to m'sia for family reasons. I have worked illegally for about 1 yr. I also did not complete my degree. Now i plan to go back to us but to do a different degree in a different school. Will it be a prob to get a f-1 visa.
Will they find out that i worked illegally.
Also can a us citizen who is not related to me be a financial support to me? Thank you

27-Jul-2000 08:03 PM
 Re: Help?
sasha
First of all check if your old F-1 visa (the sticker in your passport with your photograph on it) has already expired. It's often valid for 5 years, so it may still be valid. If it is valid all you need to get back in the USA is an I-20 from your new school. Then just buy a ticket. You may want to have some proof of finances with you to show INS on the border if they ask (ususlly they don't ask) and it's OK if you have an American sponsor.

If your visa has already expired you'll have to apply for a new one. It's OK to have an American sponsor as a proof of finances. Get an affidavit of support, his bank statement and his personal letter (explaining the situation and asking their assistance with issuing visa). You can also include his proof of income (like a copy of tax return) if he won't mind. The problem is that if you have a sponsor outside your home country it makes it more difficult for you to prove strong ties to your country. So you will have to work extra hard to prove the ties (I don't know how strict they are in Malasia on this). Try to collect some papers (like a job offer or a proof of owning an apartment ).

It's a good idea to bring some official paper proving your "family reasons" for leaving your first school.

I am not sure about the illegal work situation. If you worked for cash there's nothing to worry about. If not, I still don't think they'll catch you. I don't think they investigate you like they do when you apply for a green card.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 01:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved