Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
14-Mar-2002 01:17 AM
  HOST FAMILY KICKED ME OUT
Helen
Hi, everyone!

My host family gave me 48 hours to leave their house. Well, it seems like a hell, when you are lack of money and depend on your sponsor. I went to the university, and they called me a liar, than made me call to the host mother to make sure that I have only 2 days to find a new place and to leave their house. My student advisor told me I have only 2 options: to leave the country or to fill out the form "Off-campus employment based on severe economic necessity". And I have to wait for work permit about 5 months. And I still need to be enrolled in a full course of study, even I lost my sponsor, there are no exceptions.
If someone familiar with this situation,may be you can recommend something, hopefully INS has special regulations about this?

20-Mar-2002 11:26 PM
 Re: HOST FAMILY KICKED ME OUT
Brian
Who was your sponsor? How did you lose sponsorship?
Did your sponsor not pay the school? Are you in a ESL program?

If you can't afford to pay the school or the housing you will need to leave the US or apply for economic hardship. But if it's a matter of your sponsor not paying you should discuss this with the sposor.

Without more detailed information, I can't see anything else for you to do.

22-Feb-2003 06:41 PM
atevon
Community member
Home Coutry:
Listen honey I am in the same situation as you are. As I am writing this I am a friends house and have been here for the second day. I don't know what to do.
email me and let me know how you are doing ok? maybe we can help each other.
Just don't give up sweety ok?

03-Mar-2003 10:26 AM
LILKA
Country editor
Home Coutry:
DEAR Helen: 1ST, AS Brian TOLD, GIV US MORE INFO ON UR SPONSOR & D TERMS OF SPONSORSHIP. DIDN'T U SIGN A CONTRACT WITH THEM? THEN U R PROTECTED SOMEHOW BY D LAW. U CAN SUE THEM & REQUEST @ LEAST GIVE SOME COMPENSATION. & WHAT'S UR HOME COUNTRY? BY WHAT AGENCY/PROG U CAME 2 D STATES 2 STUDY? MAYB IREX?
DID U LOSE THE WHOLE SPONSORSHIP, OR ONLY PART OF IT - TUITION, ROOM& BOARD /I.E. ONLY HOST FAMILY?/ FOOD EXPANSES… ? MAYB U CAN JUST CHANGE UR HOST FAMILY. EITHER U OR UR SPONSOR MAY TRY 2 FIND A NEW 1?

U CAN TRY 2 COPE WITH IT ANYWAYS. BE4 U GET "Off-campus employment based on severe economic necessity" IN 5MONTHS, U CAN TRY 2 FIND ON-CAMPUS JOBS &/OR ILLEGAL OFF-CAMPUS, STILL B A FULL-TIME STUDENT. I KNOW, IT'S HARD, BT MANY INT'L STUDENTS 'VE DONE IT, INCLUDING MYSELF
BESIDES, CHECK OUT IN UR SCHOOL WHETHER THEY OFFER MERIT/NEED BASED SCHOLARSHIPS &/OR TUITION ALLOWANCES.

Atevon: U FORGOT 2 LEAVE UR EMAIL SO THAT SHE CAN CONTACT U

KEEP UP, ARMYANKA

15-Mar-2003 12:00 PM
CANDYMAN
Community member
Home Coutry:

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Fri Sep 12:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved