Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
22-Jul-2000 07:21 PM
  working off campus - One year in the same school?
Luis
Congratulations for this web site. It is really awesome!!!!!
I have studied in USA for one year in three diferent states. Now, I want to apply for a permit to work off campus due severe Economic Harship. Through this web site I have found out that the immigration department says that "The student has been in F-1 status for one full academic year," but it is not clear for me if I have to complete one year studying in USA no matter the school or I have to complete one year studying in the same school.....what do you think about it?

Thanks.

22-Jul-2000 09:59 PM
 Re: working off campus - One year in the same school?
F1Student.com
Yeah, sorry for that. We'll fix it. It should be "9 consecutive months in an F-1 status, no matter wich school you go to". It means if you got your F-1 visa (or your first authorised I-20) more than 9 months ago and always stayed in a student status, you can apply for a working permit. It doesn't matter how many schools you've changed.

However, you will need some help from your international student advisor (ISA), or some other school official if your school doesn't have an ISA. So if she's not aware of this regulation you'll have to convince her. If you have to show her the law, show her this: TITLE 8 . It's a part of an INS law concerning economic hardship, direct link to the INS site.

By the way we are working on our "work" section now, it should be much better in a couple of weeks (if we have time).

04-Aug-2000 09:58 PM
First, clarification about the '9 month rule'. For economic hardship it must be one academic year. If you go to a school with trimesters or quarters, an 'academic year' may be different than 9 months.

At any rate, remember one thing when changing schools: Every time you apply for an I-20 the school has to verify financial information. So if you change schools after a semester, and get a new I-20, INS will know that you provided proof of funding to school officials within the last 4 months. Your financial situation would have to have suffered a DEVASTATING change for economic hardship to be 'unforeseen and beyond the student's control' within 4 months (i.e. death of a parent, severe medical problems, natural disasters that wipe out your family's home or business...and be prepared to document all of it). While you need a DSO to sign off on Economic hardship, INS makes that decision, and a qualified DSO will probably advise you to wait another semester after the transfer so that you don't waste your $100 application fee only to receive a denial.

And Luis...don't believe everything you read. The only truly reliable sources of information on the web are OFFICIAL sites for INS, State Department, and the Government archive site posting the Code of Federal Regulations.

04-Aug-2000 11:49 PM
If I trusted these "truly reliable
sources" I would be probably shoveling shit in Siberia right now.

05-Aug-2000 12:07 AM
Webmaster
I'll take a note and we'll correct our article, if you don't mind.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 11:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved