Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
02-Sep-2000 05:06 PM
  F-1 visa renewal in US?
Jenny
Hello fellow international students!

Can the F-1 visa be extended or renewed (is there a difference?) in the US? It looks like I would need to return to my home country or at least go to Mexico or Canada to do it but I was told I can go to INS in US to get it done.

Please advise, thank you very much.

Jenny

02-Sep-2000 08:34 PM
 Re: F-1 visa renewal in US?
Saturday
Your F-1 entry visa (in your passport) doesn't have to be renewed or extended. It can expire the day after you arrive here, and its not a problem until the next time you decide to travel outside the U.S.

The visa just gets you into the country. As long as your I-20 is still valid and you're otherwise attending school at the place where you got the I-20, then you're fine.

You're right, though, you cannot get a visa within the U.S. Next time you're outside the U.S. you could apply for a new entry visa.

Check some of the recent topics that people have posted here. There's a reference (not long ago) to a web site with information about how to apply for a visa in Canada.

But again, if you don't need to leave, don't make a special trip. It's not necessary. If you do leave, make sure your int'l. student advisor has signed your I-20, and otherwise talked with you about what to expect.

04-Sep-2000 02:07 AM
 Re: F-1 visa renewal in US?
Serge
This is correct.

If you go abroad you have to get a new visa from your home country or Mexico or Canada (http://travel.state.gov/tcn.html and http://www.nvars.com).

U.S. Consulates in some countries will allow you to apply by mail from the US, you'll have to send your passport and all documents to them. We know for sure it can be done in Japan. Try to contact the Consulate in your country. However, if they review your documents and decide to invite you for further questions - you have a problem.

Like the other person told you, you don't really need a visa if you are not planning to go abroad.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 07:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved