Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
15-May-2001 11:51 PM
  in-state tuition for int'l students
anon
Hi to everybody!

I wanna share this thought with all of you guys, and perhaps find out more about it:

if an int'l student has an US citizen or permanent res. who sponsors her in full, and if that student is going to a public university in the state of her sponsor, wouldn't she be eligible for the in-state tuition?

Since the person who carries the full financial responsability is the resident of that state wouldn't it make sense to pay in-state?!? If you think about it, it's not as crazy as it seems!

If anyone knows more about this please POST!!!!

18-May-2001 06:38 PM
 Re: in-state tuition for int'l students
Serge
I've met a couple of people who paid in-state tuition even if they were international students. From what I understand they took advantage of the fact that financial aid , foreign students and admissions offices are all different departments and do not really coordinate their actions.

State or city residency is different from American residency. If you live in a state for more than a year you may have all the documents required to prove residency, it doesn't include a Green card or an American passport or anything.

I wasn't able to find out exactly how it's done, maybe someone can give us some advice on it.

25-May-2001 03:41 PM
Serge
I talked to my friends who went to City College and
Hunter (both part of CUNY) and here's what they
say:

F-1 students were not able to get in-state tuition
over there, even though many of them tried to trick
the system

However, illegal aliens do get in-state tuition. To
prove you are an illegal alien and thus considered
eligible for reduced tuition and other forms of
financial aid you would have to present an I-94
card that expired more than a year before the
application.

At least it's good to know they treat illegals nicely.
They say there are many illegal alien students in
City College.

26-May-2001 01:29 AM
anon
This kind of things makes me want to get illegal!!!!!!

I mean, I'm happy for the illegals and the nice treatments they get, but I think they should make it easier for int'l students; we don't get a penny from any form of fin aid, and I think they make good money on us, they should at least make it possible for us to get the in-state tuition at some point!!!

by the way, I'm going to CUNY's Borough of Manhattan CC next fall, then I hope to transfer to some big state school. R U in NYC?

26-May-2001 01:38 AM
anon
...if it's not possible to trick the mastodontic CUNY system, then there's no hope of tricking any!

26-May-2001 02:00 AM
Serge
Yeah, I'm in NYC, but not in CUNY.

One more bad thing about City College: they do not allow international students to get "double major". Meaning if you already have a BA in your country you are not allowed to get a BA in anything from City college. You only can take higher degree studies. They didn't tell this to many students in the beginning and some students had to drop from school because of it.

Apparently (and it's kind of a rumor actually) they've let students who had to drop their studies to keep their I-20 and status without attending school...

09-Jul-2001 04:00 AM
Serge
It seems to be true, after all. Anyone has more info on that?

[ This message was edited by: Serge on: 7-9-2001 03:57 ]

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sat Sep 07:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved