Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
25-Aug-2000 03:28 PM
  ELS to ELS transfer
U Chu

I'm currently an ELS student who has been accepted to a 2 year community college. I have some time (4 months) between my ELS course completion and my start of the community college, and am bit worried about keeping in status.

I got good advice from Serge at Deja.com -- I can sign up for a short ELS course so that my time between ELS and community college is kept to a minimum.

One question -- if I sign up for a short ELS class during the summer
(with a new I-20), am I okay in terms of status? Somehow, I'm under the impression that you need to "move up" in terms of educational standing (i.e., ELS to community college to 4 year...) to be in status.

If I extend my stay by signing up for another ELS service, then I'm not really moving up in terms of educational level (although my ELS class
level will be higher).

Is this OK? If it is, then one can theoretically stay in status forever by signing up for one ELS class after another.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

U. Chu

(Similar message posed on Deja.com -- sorry for the duplication but really need some good advice. My international counselor seems clueless).

25-Aug-2000 11:38 PM
 Re: ELS to ELS transfer
i
If you will go to college same as your ESL, you can try to talk your student advisor. They might have some suggestion for people who have same situations.

If college is defferent from your ESL, you can try to find the other ESL school that accept every week or every month, etc... These school are generally not college ESL. I transfered 3 different ELS without any problem.

Anyway, If I were you, I try to talk to a college student advisor which I'm supporsed to go. They have to have some advise to you.

Good luck...

31-Aug-2000 04:54 AM
 Re: ELS to ELS transfer
Serge
This is Serge again.

Yes, INS talks about the "normal progression of studies" in it's regulations. However, they really do not enforce this for some reason. Students transfer from ESL to ESL all the time. I've even met students who have transferred from a college to an ESL. I don't know what kind of logic INS uses. Sometimes they are strict on honest students, but at the same time they do not care about the people who obviously abuse the system. Go figure.

In an unlikely case your transfer application is denied and if you still have your F-1 visa you should be able to leave and reenter the country with a new I-20 from your Community college. By the way going abroad could be an alternative to taking an ESL course (if you still have your F-1 visa when your college is scheduled to start).

Not only theoretically, on practice students transfer from ESL to ESL for years. I don't know what to say. I guess INS instructions are not very strict on this. If you think about your future, though, it's not a good strategy to chose.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 07:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved