Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
09-Jun-2001 05:13 PM
  my boss gave me an option to get paid under the table
john
my working permit expires very soon and i told my boss that i will not be able to work after it get expired and he asked me if i can stay and he will pay me under the table. Do you think it's a good idea? it sounds a little scary. can INS know about it? how can they check?
any help?
thanks

09-Jun-2001 07:22 PM
 Re: my boss gave me an option to get paid under the table
the fox
hi
i saw ur message
i dont think there s any risk.. i mean unless ins come and check papers within the company... which i doubt will happens as they got other things to do i guess... just be very discreet about it and dont tell anyone at all... u never know... but if i were u , i d just go for it.. i mean come on, i live in san diego and here most of the foreign people works with fake papers ... not much of a big deal i think .....i even know this guy who works at pizza hut with no papers at all!
good luck

09-Jun-2001 09:57 PM
kar429
hey i think you're the john that replyed to my message of work right away---ok 4 questions---

1- I want to start working at the beginning of August and do you think when I get that authorization (or maybe before that if i tell my employer that) can i get a job right then?

2-what job did you get?

3- how long did it take you to actually get your stuff?

4-how do you get your SS# changed to say that you are allowed to work how long does that take?
THANKS A LOT

[ This message was edited by: kar429 on: 6-9-2001 21:46 ]

10-Jun-2001 01:08 AM
john
1- I want to start working at the beginning of August and do you think when I get that authorization (or maybe before that if i tell my employer that) can i get a job right then?
>>>when did you apply for working permit? do you think it's about time you should receive an answer from INS? Like I said before if you call to that number which listed on your INS receipt and automatic machine will say that your application has been approved and than you can tell the employee that you are aproved and waiting for the card ( just give a copy of your INS receipt as a proof, so they can call and hear it themselves)I start working with no card, i just told them that it should arrive soon and they trusted me, but later on i showed to them my card.

2-what job did you get?
Q :What position are you seeking to get?
>>>>Web Design

3- how long did it take you to actually get your stuff?
>>>>It took me exactly 92 days

4-how do you get your SS# changed to say that you are allowed to work how long does that take?
>>>>>I did not changed my SS#, you can not do it. Working permit is enough to proof the employee that you are authorized by INS. I beleive that working permits are only valid for one year, if you need to prolong it, you will need to reaply again later on.
Hope that helps.
Good luck

10-Jun-2001 07:06 PM
If your boss pays you cash and doesn't file taxes for you then you are pretty safe. Unless someone reports on him INS isn't likely to learn about it.
Don't pay taxes on illegally made money - INS could check your taxes in the future.

12-Jun-2001 08:51 PM
kar429
ok--- last question---when you apply for the job if i dont have my work permit on hand yet---do i put my social sec. number on the application???

thanks

12-Jun-2001 10:48 PM
john
Yes you do.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 01:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved