Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
31-Mar-2002 01:55 AM
  getting back on an F1 after marriyng and divorcing a US citizen
Tulip
I have a really complicated problem. I will greatly appreciate any ideas as of what my options are.

I came here on a tourist visa several times to visit. The last time i came i stayed and applied for a change of status to an F1. I received an approval and went to a community college full time getting good grades and staying in status.

I met a guy, fell in love and decided to marry him a few month ago. I did marry him and it was great for a while. But now, after only three month of marriage he found somebody else and left me to be with her. He applied for my adjustment of status, but i haven't received anything from INS yet. I am desperate, i don't know what will happen to me if he divorces me.

I took a semester break from school after getting married so that i could get our life together in order.

If he divorces me can i go back to school and be an international student again with the old I-20? The old one expires in 2003.

Please advise me on what to do if he chooses not to return to me and divorces me.

Also, can he divorce me without me knowing?

04-Apr-2002 04:20 PM
 Re: getting back on an F1 after marriyng and divorcing a US citizen
hey there
Don't let that punk play with your life. As far as I know he can't devorce you without your approval. Don't let him go like that. I hope you have filed your marriage in court. Go get a lawer(immegration)and explain him why you quit school. I think, he might be albe to file an asylum for your permanent resendency(green card) or at least help you get back to your F1 status.

good luck,
Manny.

04-Apr-2002 09:29 PM
 Re: getting back on an F1 after marriyng and divorcing a US citizen
InTrouble
I am sorry to hear anout you. Your situation is complex. you should hire a lawyer and consult with your lawyer.

I am not sure if your status changed after your marriage. You mentioned that your spouse applied for you, and you had not received anything at the time of writing. That probably means you were still in F-1 status after your marriage. Saying so, it seems that you needed to maintain your full-time school status.

You must talk to a good lawyer.

Also, about divorce, if he tries to divorce you, you will get a notice. There is this option for no-fault divorce where the spouse don't have to prove anything against the partner to get a divorce.

Anyway, good luck.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Fri Sep 11:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved