Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
27-Mar-2002 07:34 PM
  is taking 1 course part time after graduation- illegal?
jerrywest
Upon completing the required graduate classes are we allowed to take one extra class as a part time student. After that if we start a different major as full time in the same university is the one semester part time condition illegal.

28-Mar-2002 01:47 PM
 Re: is taking 1 course part time after graduation- illegal?
InTrouble
Good question, I like to know about this too. I once talked to an instructor about that (he knows a lot about international students). He told me that as long you are in your OPT, you can take part time course(s). Being in OPT keeps you in status. I would like to have more feedback about this.

28-Mar-2002 09:09 PM
jerrywest
I just took one class after all the required courses were done. and then I started another degree the following semester. I didn't have OPT.

30-Mar-2002 09:50 PM
InTrouble
Rule is:
You are legal here till duration of status as mentioned in your I-20. After your graduation, you get a time period (probably 30-60 days, I don't remember) to apply for practical training. The length of time for OPT is upto one year.

So, technically you lose your status after you graduate and don't apply for OPTs or pursue another full-time degree course with proper admission.

You should talk to your international student advisor

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Fri Sep 11:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved