Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
19-Jan-2001 07:59 PM
  looks like a transfer...
ahmed
hello !!! I got an F-1 visa from a college in florida, and this semester is my first one there,however i dont like it too much for many reasons then i dropped all the classes, but the problem is : IF I WANT TO GO TO ANOTHER COLLEGE, SHOULD I CHANGE MY VISA OR JUST GET ANOTHER I-20 FROM ANOTHER COLLEGE? THE ANNOTATION IN THE VISA DOES PLAY AN IMPORTANT ROLE FOR CHANGIN THE COLLEGE?
thank you

19-Jan-2001 11:51 PM
 Re: looks like a transfer...
ay3314
Visa has nothing to do with it. Get a new I-20

20-Jan-2001 06:17 AM
 Re: looks like a transfer...
Serge
I would be careful in this situation.

Basically you are in status until your intl. advisor thinks you are in status. If they know you dropped all your classes they may already consider you out of status.

There are some things you have to keep in mind:

a. If you drooped your classes soon after you started, your advisor may report you to the INS. This is one of the few situations when some advisors report out-of-status students. You should ask them if they did, 'cause it would be an entirely different problem.

b. If you transfer schools you can't be out of school, or rather status, for more than 2 months. If your student advisor considers you out of status (and they should if they know you dropped your classes)they may not let you transfer. They have to sign a transfer form and they won't do it if you've been out of status for too long.

You probably won't be able to get into another college in less than 2 months, so consider other schools.

c. In case your advisor is not aware you are not attending classes you may be able to transfer at the end of the semester. Then you just need a new I-20.

You have to be really carefull with this and discuss it with advisors of your school and the school you will transfer to.

What's annotation in the visa? I really don't know about that.

[ This message was edited by: Serge on: 1-20-2001 06:48 ]

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 09:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved