Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
17-Jul-2001 05:15 PM
  Is this luck?
hibernia78
I am on a one year cultural work program, and where all the other people got , an inscription on their social security cards that they needed INS authority to work , mine came without it. Since I want to change status to F1 at the end of the contract, would that give me permission to work without a schools or the INS 's permission?

The guy at the airport never stamped my I94 ,instead he wrote in ink...is that allowed? anyway he gave me until 2003, anyone know please answer my querries thanks.

17-Jul-2001 11:41 PM
 Re: Is this luck?
Rick
The social security administration hasn't always issued "special" cards to int'l. students with the notation about the card not being valid for work authorization. The fact that yours doesn't have this notation doesn't mean that you can go out & legally get a job anywhere, though you'll have one less obsticle to deal with if you wanted to.

I assume you're in J-1 status, though you didn't mention it outright. If you want to change status to F-1, and assuming you don't have a 2-year home residency requirement, than a properly stamped I-94 would certainly be helpful. It would help to know what the INS guy wrote on your card. If it was a date by which you should leave and D/S (for duration of status), than you should be fine. If it was his phone number, than you've got problems.

18-Jul-2001 12:50 PM
hibernia78
RE:

Thanks Rick , ha ha no the guy did not leave his tel. no. on my I94 but he wrote in ink, the date that is... I am on a Q1 Visa, my contract expires in Feb 2002 when should I start processing my application for a school and change of status, and what happens if I remain in the country after my visa expires but my I94 is still in status?

Thank you , and good luck to all our other brothers and sisters who want to make a life for themselves here, this country was built by immigrants!

19-Jul-2001 02:08 PM
Rick
The visa in your passport only gets you into the country. It can expire the day after you arrive and its not a problem, as long as your I-94 is still valid (and you're otherwise doing what your visa allowed you in for).

I don't know anything else about Q visas, though, so if there are other documents that you have to deal with for that, you'll be needing someone else's input.

Best wishes with this.

20-Jul-2001 09:13 PM
Brian
Legally it doesn't matter that your SS card isn't notated. You still need permission to work in any case. Remember, the social security administration has nothing to do with work eligibility for aliens.

Good luck.

Brian

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sat Sep 07:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved