Brat-3: ACTR Students Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Brat-3: ACTR Students Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
21-Jan-2001 07:34 PM
  Community Service Report
yerkin

watch the "onion" J

My Community Service Experience

Why do you need to work for free sometimes? That's exactly what I was asking myself the first time I realized that my community service requirement is due almost the next split second. Of course, almost all of the FSA students felt somewhat reluctant about it. Anyway, it proved to be a very nice experience that I would hardly forget.

My expectations about community service, given the fact how it was described to us by our supervisors at both orientations (back home and in Washington, DC), were far not that positive. I expected something like helping elderly people with their everyday physiological needs and feeding them, or in a best possible scenario, tutoring your spoilt brats in some high-school nearby. So we (Ruslan, who happened to be my FSA pal here) had to go to the Volunteer Emory Service, probably the only place on campus that could help us get rid of our problems. I've been visiting this office quite a lot for about a week, trying to pick something out of their narrow choice of offerings. Creek cleanup, breast cancer center, rape crisis center (like I would be able to help them), HIV asylum - none of them did match our requirement, as they were mostly dated after our FSA deadline. At that time I wished I had started searching earlier.

Finally, like a heavenly gift, we were surprised to find out that we have one offering that could save our day. The poster on the wall said "AIDS Walk Atlanta". Well, this kind of short description does not inspire that much, maybe just because of my expectations. Anyway, I called them, found some information regarding all the possible offerings they have at the event. It was supposed to start on Sunday, but we managed to persuade the event supervisor to take us for the preparation that took place on Saturday. That day was pretty hard, taking care of all the stuff they brought down to Piedmont Park on several large trucks. But the main fun was yet to come on the next day, Sunday.

Early morning, we were about to get up, but could do it. AIDS Walk was officially starting at about 12 pm. All the volunteers who are willing to help should be there as early as possible. The rule is understandable: the earlier you get, the more choice you have on what position to take. At about By 10:30 Rus and I finally managed to get up, take a quick breakfast and head towards the dreaded Piedmont Park. MARTA (which is a public transportation system of metropolitan Atlanta) was dirty and miserable that day just as usually. Midtown Station turned out to be quite a decent place. We've never been there before, but the surroundings were rather good-looking, although there were some construction sites around. I was glad that I had taken my new digital camera with me, because (as it turned out later) I shot tons of pictures. Now I can look back at them and remember that crazy but funny day.

By 11:30 we were already near the park. The distance we had to cover was quite long. Never knowing the downtown before I somehow managed to find my way. Piedmont Park is probably Atlanta's best recreational place. That day was even more crowded than ever. AIDS Walk is a non-profit organization that cruises around the nation conducting events like this one in support of fight against AIDS. Being an average post-Soviet citizen, I was excited to see such a public event. The concept of the Walk was actually a walk, a 6.2 mile march around the Piedmont Park. I truly regret that I couldn't take part in the walk itself, because of the fact that Rus and I were given an assignment. But let's follow the sequence.

As we got to the organizers' booth they told us that all the possible volunteer position s are taken. Nice beginning, isn't it? The only way to join the team would be to donate money and then walk around with a silly hat. That's not exactly what we've been looking for all the time. Needless to say, prepare everything in advance. But it was too late. I thought that would be our end, no solution. I was desperate, Rus as well. Anyway, we had to cope, there was no other choice.

I went a little farther down the row to ask another man in charge whether they have opportunities for volunteers. He confirmed that all the positions are taken, that we should've come earlier. But after all he referred us to yet another man in charge named Billy. We went to the trucks, where a crowd of volunteers was unloading them, found Billy and explained the entire situation we got into. It was a great luck that after all he helped us and found a job to do. Well, not the best one out there, but still better than nothing. We had to take care of the garbage, namely dump all the trashcans into the dumpster, change the packets inside and things like that.

I never did this kind of job before. Moreover, I considered it to be way too dirty for me. But that day was the day when I had to accept it, as we had no other choice. Well, what can I say about it? In one word it was fun. Frying sun, tons of people left and right, numerous trashcans scattered all around the park occupying the area about two football fields - that's the next best thing to improve your skill, will and stamina after the army.

One thing happened to Rus that day, which looked funny, but was really dangerous and could get him (and maybe even me) behind the bars. We were dumping yet another leaking bag. After successfully throwing it over the edge of the dumpster we backed off. In the meantime, a German couple with their infant was walking right behind us. And Rus occasionally fell right on the child. For a next split second everyone involved thought that the infant was smashed. But it turned out that everything was OK, although the child's father was a little concerned about the cost of the damage. That's the only accident we had that day.

At first the event started with a little bit of exercises hosted by some fitness pros. Then they presented a group called The Gospel Explosion. These guys' music was really horrible.

The AIDS Walk Atlanta itself started at about 1:00 pm. All the huge crowd of people who gathered in Piedmont Park that day headed towards the exit. Thanks to it we had a slight break and lay down on a grass in shadow. It was quite wonderful, I wish I went to this park on a daily basis, just to relax and have a rest. The organizers were serving some potato chips, yogurt and small snacks. We were munched them while we took a walk across the park to the pond where I've taken some pictures with a picturesque background of skyscrapers.
When the walk was over the whole crowd having made a big loop around the entire Piedmont Park entered it again. The recently emptied cans were full with garbage again and we had to continue our "trash crusade" around the place.

It was getting dark. At around 5 pm the event was over, everyone gradually were leaving the park. That's when the toughest part of our community service began. Surprisingly enough all the big army of volunteers who not so long ago were so willingly helping with distributing the food among visitors (let me guess why) suddenly completely disappeared. Piles of barricades, hills of trash, packets, dropped food, litter, and a huge bundle of equipment - all this load was left at our disposal, couple of dedicated volunteers, organizers, Rus, and me. It could've been the same physical load if I went to the gym that day.

By 10 everything was done, all the people involved were extremely tired and exhausted. As a reward for help during the day all the volunteers were given T-shirts, but only "the chosen ones" were gifted with sweatshirts bearing the "AIDS Walk Atlanta" logo, those who stayed for the evening and helped removing the mess left from the event. Tired, dirty, but happy Rus and I headed towards the MARTA station and went home.

The results that we could figure out for ourselves were completed community service, some food, funny pictures, and tons of dirty clothes. Maybe these are the things that we can get working for free. But after all, the greatest gain that we obtained from this volunteer service was an enormous amount of fun and experience. I might consider doing some community service in future, but only for money (now I definitely know that I don't want to do it for free).

[Brat3: University of Pennsylvania II]

23-Jan-2001 08:27 AM
 Re: Community Service Report
ERLeN
Kool!

23-Jan-2001 08:11 PM
 Re: Community Service Report
musliba
!!!!!!! I even printed it out as an example for my report, which i need to create in couple days.
molodec, Babe.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 09:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved